Are you a student leader with a passion for faith, justice and the arts?
Do you long for an inclusive Christian student community that celebrates diversity of gender, sexual orientation, cultural and racialized identity, and ability, and that participates in struggles for equity?
Are you passionate about social justice, climate justice, decolonization and transformative ecumenical/inter-faith cooperation?
The SCM Ryerson Coordinator will be a full or part-time Ryerson University student with a passion for faith-based engagement with students that is consistent with the mandate of the Student Christian Movement of Canada: “radical faith in action – community in diversity”
First Lutheran Church www.firstelc.ca provides a physical or virtual home-base for SCM Ryerson, and its pastor is a “supporting chaplain” to SCM Ryerson and a member of the Ryerson Spiritual Collective.
- Maintain the recognized club status of SCM Ryerson with the Ryerson Student Union and Ryerson Student Life.
- Promote Ryerson SCM through available opportunities such as Orientation Week, tabling (as permitted), online events, etc.
- Maintain a list of RU student contacts interested in Ryerson SCM and its faith and justice programs.
- Plan, promote and deliver Ryerson SCM programs (COVID-19 compliant) such as SCM contextual Bible studies, film nights, and topical events, e.g., Green faith, Qu(e)erying Religion, etc.
- Build relationships with suitable campus groups and programs to create synergies: e.g., Rye Pride, Trans Awareness Month, International Women’s Day, Black History Month, the Ryerson Spiritual Collective, etc.
- Support and promote appropriate events offered by First Lutheran, eg. The Table, ZOOM events, etc.
- Promote SCM national and regional programs, e.g., GTA retreats, Cahoots Festival, and World Student Christian Federation conferences and exchanges.
The SCM Ryerson Coordinator receives a monthly honorarium of $250 from First Lutheran Church. Program expenses (within a prescribed budget) will also be reimbursed.
The position is offered from September to December 2020, with the possibility of renewal January to April 2021 contingent upon funding.
Accountability: The SCM Ryerson Coordinator is accountable to the pastor at First Lutheran Church and the SCM GTA board of directors.
Applications and deadline:
Please submit a letter of application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 28, 2020. If necessary late applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has accepted the position.
SCM Ryerson is a collaborative ministry partnership initiated by First Lutheran Church and Lutheran Campus Ministry of Toronto with the Student Christian Movement of Canada and the SCM-GTA.
Funding for this ministry is generously provided by the Youth and Young Adults Ministry of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.