Working with First Lutheran Church and SCM Ryerson.
35 hrs per week, for 12 weeks of the summer
First Lutheran Church and the Student Christian Movement collaborate to offer student outreach and campus ministry at Ryerson University in the form of contextual Bible Studies and other programs. First Lutheran is a historic congregation nestled in the heart of Ryerson campus. SCM at Ryerson University is a recognized student club of the Ryerson Student Union and one of three SCM units in the GTA.
The Summer Intern will be responsible for maintaining and supporting SCM Ryerson program offerings in collaboration and cross-sponsorship with SCM GTA and SCM Canada. The Summer Intern will support the program life of First Lutheran Church which will include worship leadership and preaching.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ryerson Student Christian Movement (SCM Rye): to lead and support SCM Rye, through social media and online programs with SCM GTA and SCM Canada, eg., online Radical Bible Study, movie nights, Cahoots DIY Festival and the SCM GTA fall retreat.
- LGBTQ2SAI Faith-based programs: to support and deliver queer and trans positive events, eg,
The Table Talk, Queer Christian Fellowship, etc.
- First Lutheran social media: to animate First Lutheran social media accounts with suitable content, i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, website.
- First Lutheran worship: to support, plan and participate in Sunday services including summer pastoral vacation replacement.
- Administration: to perform other and related administrative tasks as assigned.
- Graduate or mature undergraduate student with a passion for justice and community in theological perspective.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including group facilitation.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work from home
- Adept social media skills.
- A team player with a positive outlook.
- Enthusiasm and ability to promote and deliver faith-based study programs, eg. Contextual Bible study.
- Ability to sustain and build online student and young adult community in a time of pandemic
- Able to understand, organize and lead online programs in a Christian setting as part of a team of paid and volunteer leaders.
- Superior social media and communications skills.
- Excellent social intelligence and non-anxious, consensus-building workstyle.
This position is contingent upon the approval of a First Lutheran funding application.This position will be filled on a “tele-commuting” basis until such point as COVID19 restrictions are lifted and face-to-face gatherings are permitted. The position will require some evening and weekend work.
An acceptable criminal record check, including the level of clearance required to work with vulnerable people will be required.
First Lutheran Church, Toronto is a small downtown congregation with a big heart. First welcomes all regardless of age, race, class, gender identity, sexual orientation or creed. www.firstelc.ca
The Ryerson Student Christian Movement is a local unit of the Student Christian Movement in Canada, and a partner with First Lutheran in campus ministry. www.scmcanada.org
To apply: please send letter of application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30. Late applications will be accepted, and applications will be considered until a suitable candidate has accepted the position. All interviews will be conducted online.