As the SCM looks to expand this coming school year, there’s a desire to create an SCM chapter in Vancouver. This chapter will need a student coordinator from University of British Columbia that will be focused on growing membership and running events during the Winter semester. If you’re interested, read on!
Thank you for your interest in this position with the SCM! The Student Christian Movement of Canada is a progressive student movement on university campuses engaged in faith and social justice. Since 1921, students have led the SCM in exploring and challenging the Christian tradition and its meaning in society and culture. With members from all Christian denominations and places of spiritual seeking, SCM seeks to build communities where friendship, critical thinking and political action can flourish. The SCM strives to practice anti-oppression principles – queer affirming, anti-racist, and decolonizing – and to create an environment where all are welcomed and empowered.
This position is to create and develop an SCM community centered on faith and justice at UBC and VST.
- Passion for action on faith and social justice issues
- Ability to articulate one’s Christian faith
- Capacity to recruit and empower student leadership
- Skills and experience in communication, organization and event facilitation
- Current student status & familiarity with the university context
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Outreach, engagement, and relationship building with students on campus to build group membership
- Network with other relevant student groups on campus and supportive chaplains for collaboration and mutual support
- Plan, promote, and organize regular programs/events for the SCM in collaboration with membership
- Maintain student club registration and club records to support leadership transition
- Promote the SCM through email and social media
- Meet regularly and as much as needed with the General Secretary to check in on activities and for guidance and support
- Promote SCM National programs
- Help SCM with fundraising initiatives to keep our clubs running
This position is accountable to the SCM Canada General Secretary who is stationed in Toronto. The position is mostly self-led, and community directed by those interested in the club at Queen’s, and UBC/VST. However, the General Secretary will be available for online meetings whenever necessary, and bi-weekly check-ins.
Hours and remuneration:
An honorarium of $250/month will be given. The position will be offered from January 2021 – April 2022. It is expected that the Coordinator will be giving approximately 4-5 hours/week of their time to this position.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 30th, 2021. Please email a cover letter and resume to Divy Sallentes Uptegrove at email@example.com.