The Student Christian Movement of Canada (SCM) is a progressive student movement on university campuses engaged in faith and social justice. Since 1921, students have led the SCM in exploring and challenging the Christian tradition and its meaning in society and culture. With members from all Christian denominations and places of spiritual seeking, SCM seeks to build communities where friendship, critical thinking and political action can flourish. The SCM strives to practice anti-oppression principles – queer affirming, anti-racist, and decolonizing – and to create an environment where all are welcomed and empowered.
This position is to create and develop an SCM community centered on faith and justice at York University – Keele campus.
- Passion for action on faith and social justice issues
- Ability to articulate one’s Christian faith
- Capacity to recruit and empower student leadership
- Skills and experience in communication, organization and event facilitation
- Current student status & familiarity with the university context
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Outreach, engagement, and relationship building with students on campus to build group membership
- Network with other student groups on campus and supportive chaplains
- Plan, promote, and organize regular programs/events for the SCM in collaboration with membership
- Maintain student club registration and club records to support leadership transition
- Promote the SCM through email and social media
- Work with the SCM Advisory Board to create regular fundraising mailings
- Collaborate with SCM Advisory Board to organize a yearly SCM alumni/supporter event
- Collaborate with other SCM coordinators (U of T and Ryerson) and the national SCM
This position is accountable to the York SCM Advisory Board, by the circulation of a written report on program activities prior to meeting with the board.
Hours and remuneration:
$20 per hour, up to 8 hours per week (including CPP and EI), October 15, 2021 – April 30, 2022
Do you have a friend you would like to do this work with? This position is open to a joint application for 2 students to share the one position.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Thursday, Sept 30, 2021. Please email a cover letter and resume to Jeanette Unger, firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.