Are you a student leader with a passion for faith, justice and the arts? Do you long for an
inclusive Christian student community that celebrates diversity of gender identity, sexual
orientation, racialization, and ability? Are you passionate about Black Lives Matter, the Truth
and Reconciliation Commission, transformative ecumenical/inter-faith practice and climate
justice? Consider this:
Student Christian Movement – X University [formerly known as “Ryerson” University] Chapter is
an affiliate student group on campus in ministry, in partnership with First Lutheran Church,
Lutheran Campus Ministry of Toronto, Student Christian Movement of Canada and the Student
Christian Movement – GTA. Funding for this ministry is generously provided by the Youth and
Young Adults Ministry of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
The SCM X University [formally “Ryerson” University] Coordinator will be a full or part-time X
University student with a passion for faith-based engagement with students that is consistent
with the mandate of the Student Christian Movement of Canada: “radical faith in action –
community in diversity” See www.scmcanada.org
First Lutheran Church www.firstelc.ca provides a physical or virtual home-base for SCM X
University, and its pastor is a “supporting chaplain” to SCM and a member of the Spiritual
Collective at the university.
- Build on the established recognized club status of SCM X-University with the X University Student Union and X University Student Life to maintain club status.
- Promote SCM through available opportunities such as Orientation Week, tabling (as permitted), online events, etc.
- Manage communications for SCM-X-University for students, stakeholders and events.
- Plan, promote and deliver X University SCM programs (COVID19 compliant) such as SCM contextual Bible studies, film nights, and topical events, eg: Green faith, Qu(e)erying Religion, etc.
- Attend and represent SCM-X University at Student Union meetings and initiatives.
- Build relationships with suitable campus groups and programs to create synergies: eg. Rye Pride, Trans Awareness Month, International Women’s Day, Black History Month, the Ryerson Spiritual Collective, etc.
- Collaborates on appropriate events offered by First Lutheran, eg. The Table, ZOOM events, etc.
- Collaborates with SCM national and regional programs, eg. GTA retreats, Cahoots, and an awareness of the World Student Christian Federation
The SCM X University Coordinator receives a monthly honorarium of $250 sponsored by First
Lutheran Church. Program expenses (within a prescribed budget) will also be contributed.
The position is offered from September to December 2021, with the possibility of renewal
January to April 2022 contingent upon funding.
The SCM X University Coordinator is accountable to the X University Student Union, First
Lutheran Church and the Student Christian Movement – GTA board of directors.
Applications and deadline:
Please submit a letter of application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 16, 2021.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has accepted the position.