First Lutheran Church and the Student Christian Movement are looking for a Summer Intern with the title of “Program Coordinator/Community Service Worker”
Dates: Earliest possible start is May 10. Latest possible start is May 24. Flexible end date between Jul 9, 2021 (at full time basis) and up to Oct 15, 2021 (on a pro-rated negotiated basis to a maximum of 23 weeks.)
Hours: 35 per week or pro-rated as negotiated. Maximum total hours: 280
Remuneration: $14.25 per hour
Location: Toronto (or home office based in Ontario)
First Lutheran Church and the Student Christian Movement collaborate to offer student outreach and campus ministry at Ryerson University in the form of contextual Bible Studies and other programs. First Lutheran is a historic congregation nestled in the heart of Ryerson campus. SCM at Ryerson University is a recognized student club of the Ryerson Student Union and one of three SCM units in the GTA.
The Summer Intern will be responsible for supporting the established SCM Ryerson program offerings in collaboration and cross-sponsorship with SCM GTA and SCM Canada. The Summer Intern will support the program life and public relations of First Lutheran Church which may include worship leadership and preaching, social media campaigns and promotion, and other duties as agreed upon.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ryerson Student Christian Movement (SCM RU): to lead and support SCM RU, through social
media and online programs with SCM GTA and SCM Canada, eg., online Radical Bible Study,
movie nights, and the SCM GTA fall retreat.
- LGBTQ2SAI Faith-based programs: to support and deliver queer and trans positive events, eg, Queer Christian Fellowship, etc.
- First Lutheran social media: to animate First Lutheran social media accounts with suitable content, i.e., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, website.
- First Lutheran worship: to support, plan and participate in Sunday services including summer pastoral vacation replacement.
- First Lutheran “Little Food Pantry”: to coordinate stocking of this new food sustainability program.
- Administration: to perform other and related tasks as assigned.
- Graduate or mature undergraduate student with a passion for justice and community in
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including group facilitation.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work from home.
- Adept social media skills.
- A team player with a positive outlook.
- Enthusiasm and ability to promote and deliver faith-based study programs, eg. Contextual
- Ability to sustain and build online student and young adult community in a time of pandemic
- Be able understand, organize and lead online programs in a Christian setting as part of a team
of paid and volunteer leaders.
- Superior social media and communications skills.
- Excellent social intelligence and non-anxious, consensus-building workstyle.
- First Lutheran has received Canada Summer Jobs funding for this position.
- This position will be filled on a “tele-commuting” basis until such point as COVID19 restrictions
are lifted and face-to-face gatherings are permitted.
- The position will require some evening and weekend work.
Terms of Employment
Accountability: The Summer Intern reports to the pastor of First Lutheran or his designate.
An acceptable criminal record check, including the level of clearance required to work with vulnerable
people will be required.
First Lutheran Church, Toronto is a small downtown congregation with a big heart. First welcomes all
regardless of age, race, class, gender identity, sexual orientation or creed. www.firstelc.ca
The Ryerson Student Christian Movement is a local unit of the Student Christian Movement in
Canada, and a partner with First Lutheran in campus ministry. www.scmcanada.org
To apply: please send letter of application and résumé to email@example.com by May 14. Late
applications will be accepted, and applications will be considered until a suitable candidate has
accepted the position. All interviews will be conducted online.