This is a part-time position based at the Keele Campus of York University and St. George Campus of U of T, to animate SCM faith and justice programming among students and young adults in the GTA.
The Student Christian Movement of Canada (SCM) is a progressive student movement engaged in faith and social justice. Since 1921, students have led the SCM in exploring and challenging the Christian tradition and its meaning in society and culture. With members from all Christian denominations and places of spiritual seeking, SCM seeks to build communities where friendship, critical thinking and political action can flourish. The SCM strives to practice anti-oppression principles and to create an environment where all are welcomed and empowered.
- Passion for action on faith and social justice issues
- Ability to articulate one’s Christian faith
- Listening and referral skills
- Capacity to empower student leadership
- Skills and experience in communication, organization and event facilitation
- Ability to work with funding bodies (churches and individuals)
- Current or recent student status & familiarity with the university context
- Develop promotion plan, such as information tables, print materials and social media, for orientation weeks and other events
- Organize or co-sponsor programs; poster and advertise these events
- Outreach and engagement with students to build programs and membership, and obtain club status
- Be present weekly on each campus networking and getting to know students.
- Network with key partners on campuses (eg. supportive chaplains, Multi-Faith Centre, OPIRG, LGBTQ clubs, ecology clubs, etc.)
- Collaborate with National SCM http://scmcanada.org/
- Promote and attend the yearly Cahoots Festival http://www.scmcanada.org/cahoots/
- Participate in Regional Retreats (ie. September 29 – Oct. 2, 2016) http://scmcanada.org/2016/05/turning-tables-fall-retreat/
- Maintain updated email lists and contact information of interested students
- Send out weekly updates through email and on Facebook
- Work with the Joint Advisory Board to create regular fundraising mail-outs
- Collaborate with SCM friends to organize a Senior Friends event each year in Toronto
- To the York – U of T SCM Joint Advisory Board, by the circulation of one page written report on program activities prior to monthly meeting with the joint board.
Hours and remuneration:
- 20 $ per hour, 16 hours per week, August 1, 2016 – April 30, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 22, 2016. Please email cover letter and resume to Jeanette Unger, email@example.com More information: (416) 978-2785. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Provisional date for interviews is June 28, 2016.